Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Mexican Scrambled Eggs and Blueberry-Oatmeal Bento

I know I've given a great start to my husband's day when I send him to work with a breakfast like this. I feel very grateful that we are able to have access to a variety of healthy foods. I hope my posts help to inspire others to create nourishing food for themselves and those they love, because it's a great joy to do so! What foods are you grateful for today?


Top tier of bento: Green salad (romaine, micro-greens, cucumber) with apple parsley dressing in a small container, roasted almonds, cheese puto, oatmeal with protein powder and blueberries in an apple cup.

Bottom tier of bento: Roasted asparagus (chard stem hearts,) pickled daikon, Mexican scrambled eggs (chard leaf.)



I had half an apple leftover from when I made my apple parsley dressing, so I hollowed it out with a spoon and filled it with cooled oatmeal! As you can see, the apple cup is the perfect size for a bento!

My Bento Recipes


Roasted asparagus (2 servings as shown)



The hearts are made from red chard stems that I trimmed. I'm happy to have been given the inspiration for yet another use for what would otherwise be compost! A touch of oil will keep them from drying out before lunch.  

Ingredients:

7 stalks asparagus
1 teaspoon EVOO
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:

* Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
* Cut asparagus into 2 1/2" pieces and toss with the EVOO and salt.
* Bake for 15 minutes.

Mexican scrambled eggs (1 portion as shown)



Fluffy eggs with melt in your mouth cubes of ripe avocado and salsa, mmmm. Topped with cheddar cheese flowers. I used a toothpick to add hot sauce for the flower centers. The eggs are contained in a red chard leaf.

Ingredients:

2 egg
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 ripe avocado, diced
1 tablespoon hot salsa
(cheddar cheese and hot sauce for garnish)

Directions:

* Beat the eggs very well with the salt.
* Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
* Add the eggs and scramble (I like to use a silicon spatula for this.)
* When the eggs are still half runny, add the salsa and avocado, gently folding them into the eggs.
* Pull from the heat when the eggs are still a little wet. They will continue to cook from residual heat and this prevents them from over cooking.
* Let cool and top with cheese.

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous bento, literally "packed with love" and yummy foods! I loved your comment about the chard stems--bento brings out a certain resourceful creativity, so that we see food as material for edible art :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking a peek at my bentos! I agree completely. It's a wonderful feeling when food inspires us. I'd love to see an Iron Chef bento!

    ReplyDelete