Monday, February 10, 2014

Gluten-Free Croquettes Bento

A Happy "Friday" bento! I try my hand at GF Japanese style croquettes. To off set the fried factor I loaded up on raw veggie sides and pickles.


Top tier of bento:
My first attempt to replicate panko! This is a recipe in progress, but here I used leftover millet that I baked at 250 degrees for 1 hr and 15 minutes (so easy to do while enjoying a couple episodes of 30 Rock!) It fried beautifully and was great while hot, but the hubs reports that the crispy coating hardened some in the fridge overnight. Hmmm....panko, I will create you without wheat!!!

Also going on: Quick Pickled Carrot, romaine with lemon juice and S&P, lemon-tamari dipping sauce and a coffee truffle (Happy "Friday!") Garnish: green onion slices.

Bottom tier of bento:
Turkey-Wrapped Savory Tofu, Cremini Slices in Tamari-Nori, Beet and Radish with Sweet Mustard. Garnish: beet greens, parsley, thyme, cutesy animal picks.

My Bento recipes:

Mini Gluten-free Croquettes


This recipe is best served fresh and hot. If putting in a bento let cool completely, but refrigeration makes the crispy coating harden. I will work on creating a recipe that is better for bentos.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1 tablespoon grated parmesan
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg, beaten
2-3 tablespoons GF flour for coating
1/3 cup or so slow baked millet (or other GF bread crumbs)
Oil for frying (I used coconut, shout out to Costco!)

Directions:

* Mix the potatoes with the salt and cheese. 

* Divide into 4-6 formed shapes. 
* Roll these in the flour, dip in the egg, and coat with the crispies/crumbs.
*  Deep fry one at a time in hot oil (you'll know when you drop a crumb in and it quickly floats to the top.) It took less than a minute a piece for them to turn golden. 
* Drain on paper towels and serve while still hot!

Turkey-Wrapped Savory Tofu


Ingredients:

add 1/8 teaspoon and 1 teaspoon chopped parsley to the remaining beaten egg from above
2 slices organic baked tofu
2 slices turkey deli meat
1 tablespoon oil (I re-used a bit of the coconut oil from above)

Directions:

* Fold the turkey in half around the slices of tofu. 

* Dip these in the beaten egg and cook over medium heat  in a pan with the oil until all the egg is cooked and golden (about 1 or 2 minutes per side.) 
* Cut in half and let cool before packing. 


Cremini Slices in Tamari-Nori

Easy: slice a mushroom and cut some strips of nori. Dip the nori strips in a little tamari and then wrap them around the slices.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I heard of your blog from a friend, and when I found out you make GF lunches for your husband, I had to stop by and say hello! I pack bento for my hubby too, but I and my son are the GF ones in our family. I must say, your croquettes look delicious! I look forward to seeing what else you come up with :) FYI, my blog is beneficial-bento.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristie, thanks so much for stopping by! I just recently got the internet at home and that's when I started posting. It's so wonderful to be in touch with others with dietary restrictions (thank you magical internet!) I look forward to seeing what you're doing and learning some new recipes! Let's keep it up and keep our fams healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback Diana. My husband enjoyed it and I enjoyed making it. It's good to have "playtime" in the kitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete