Sunday, June 1, 2014

Pork Belly with Enoki and Ginger Bento

It's been a very long time since my last post. Disclosure: I have autoimmune disease (which is part of the reason why our home is gluten-free.) Recently I had a bad flare up. So healing and self-care became my number one priority and it's been a long recovery process. 

What's exciting is that I've dived into the autoimmune protocol diet, which is a modified Paleo diet. Not only is it gluten-free but also free of all grains, dairy, nightshades, nuts/seeds, and eggs. What a list huh? But it's working and I'm happy to say I'm starting to feel better. I made and photoed this bento before my flare up. It feels good to finally get to posting again! 

For more information on the autoimmune protocol please check out these amazing blogs:


Top Tier: Pork belly with enoki mushrooms and ginger, pickled eggplant, roasted asparagus (pickled daikon stars,) chocolate drizzled sesame seed crisps. 

Bottom tier: Salt pickled persian cucumbers with nori, spaghetti squash with herbed kalamata olive oil and aged parmesan (red chard stems, parsley leaves.)



I'm experimenting with using baked spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement, which is common in Paleo circles. Because I didn't have marinara on hand, I worked with what I did have to make a a savory blended kalamata olive and herbs olive oil for my sauce. Sprinkled with a little aged parm, you've got a grain-free pasta! (Or omit the cheese to keep this recipe Paleo-friendly.)

The garnish here is made from red chard stems that I trimmed to have a heart shape. For me, finding creative ways to use foods is part of the fun of making bentos. I love seeing what other people come up with too!


My Bento Recipes


Pork Belly with Enoki Mushrooms and Ginger (1 serving as shown)

The mellow earthiness of enoki mushrooms pairs well with the richness of thinly sliced pork belly (or bacon.) A touch of heat from ginger goes wonderful with the pork. Topped with fresh black pepper, and and small bunch of fresh mushrooms. I used red chard as a divider cup.

Ingredient:

1/2 pack enoki mushrooms, bottoms removed, cut into 1/3
1/8 onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 small clove garlic, grated
2 oz thinly sliced pork belly (or nitrate free bacon), cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
1/4 cup stock (I always use super gut healthy home-made bone stock!)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh pepper

Directions:

* Heat a small pan over lowish-medium heat and add the avocado oil.
* Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
* Add the enoki mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
* Add the pork belly and saute for 5 minutes or until it's no longer pink.
* Turn the heat up to high and add the stock, salt, ginger, and garlic.
* Cook another 1-2 minutes while stirring or until the liquid has cooked up.
* Let cool completely before packing.


Salt Pickled Persian cucumbers with Nori (3 servings as shown)

These persian cucumbers are wonderful salted because they are a bit sweeter than standard cucumbers. To fancy things up I partially peeled them and wrapped each piece with a strip toasted nori.

Ingredients:

2 persian cucumbers (I find these at Trader Joe's)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Strips of nori

Directions:

* Use a peeler to remove half of the skin of the cucumbers to create a striped effect.
* Cut the cucumbers in half and then into 1 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
* Sprinkled the cucumbers with the salt and use your hands to mix the salt in evenly.
* Let sit for at 15-30 minutes (depending on your preference for softness versus crunchiness.)
* Toast some nori and cut into thin strips.
* Rinse the cucumbers (if desired, if you like salty skip this)
* Wrap each cucumber piece with a strip of nori. (I find that the moisture from the cucumbers is enough to secure the nori in place. But if you're having trouble a dab of mayo will help.)


No comments:

Post a Comment